Sunday, January 24, 2010

Joshua

Joshua
Who is Joshua, from where did He come? My nephew’s name is Joshua; my sister had told us that she named him from a biblical name.
• This was good enough for me, we all want our kids to be children of the bible, but did she really know who Joshua was and how he got his name.
See Joshua in the bible wasn’t born as Joshua, he was Hoshea,(numbers 13:8) born as a slave in Egypt. Hoshea stood for salvation; one would think this was a good name. Hoshea was born about 40 years before the Exodus. Hoshea came from the tribe of Ephraim as the son of Nun. During this time Moses was considered Israel’s lawgiver, laws which God had given (ex. Ten Commandments). Moses was a powerful man; he would rename Hoshea, calling him Joshua for the meaning of Joshua is “The Lord is Salvation” (Num 13:8). Joshua would go on and be the greatest military leader in all Bible history. Joshua was very close to Moses, so much so that he was permitted to accompany Moses part of the way up Mount Sinai when Moses received The Ten Commandments. Joshua would even be one of the twelve that Moses would send out to explore the land, with only Joshua and Caleb bringing back good reports. "After the death of Moses the servant of The Lord, The Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' aide: "Moses My servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them - to the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates - all the Hittite country - to the Great Sea on the west. No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them." (Joshua 1:1-6)
Don’t forget also that Jesus had Moses lay hands on Joshua, this is very important, for Joshua had the Lords blessings. To me this is how he was able to get through all that he would endure.
Joshua died at the age of 110, 25 years after entry into the Promised Land. Please take time and read all about Joshua. I ask the Lords blessings on my nephew’s life and ask for the Lords will in his life and that the Lord uses him as he used Joshua. Guide and direct our Joshua as he works with your children Father, I love you Father in Jesus name, Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Brenda another awesome blog.You have brought so much to life for me reading them and allowing me to comment to you what they mean to me.Please keep up the grat work you are doing as they mean alot to me.

    ReplyDelete