Monday, January 25, 2010

Favoritism

Favoritism 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

I have spent most of my life feeling like my parents; especially my mother didn’t feel the same passion or love for me that she has for my brother and sisters. It has always felt like I might have been adopted, an outsider even. I have told my mother this recently even. As I was preparing for surgery, I wondered who would go and be with me, there was some dispute as I felt outraged inside when mom kept saying if you need me I will be there, I didn’t feel I needed to ask her or any of my family members, this was major surgery and for once I wanted to know they were in waiting room waiting on me to return. I asked when I returned after a difficult surgery if my mom was there, the answer was no. So once again, I felt so unloved. The question I guess is not that mom loves me; it’s that I feel she favors others more. Some part of me understands this for she has many kinds each with different needs; I have always been pretty self-sufficient, even as a young child. Does this make it right though. Well, I decided I would find out what Jesus thought about this, and here is what I found.
Acts 10:34
So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,
Genesis 37:4
It is dangerous and unwise to show favoritism in a family. It's in the Bible, Genesis 37:3-4, "Now as it happened, Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other children, because Joseph was born to him in his old age. So one day Jacob gave him a special gift—a brightly colored coat. His brothers of course noticed their father's partiality, and consequently hated Joseph; they couldn't say a kind word to him."
But when his brothers saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers, they hated him and could not speak peacefully to him.
Romans 2:11
For God shows no partiality.
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
James 2:9
But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
Favoritism devalues people for whom Christ died and indicates an ignorance of God's values this can be found in the book of James chapter 2.’’ The word talks about different kinds of favoritism’s but in God’s eyes they are all the same, and not from Him. So if you find that you treat others better than some, or you look at some differently, maybe it’s time for you to get on your knees and ask God for deliverance from this, for He created us all equally. It is unfortunate in this day and age that we have those that have less than others, but it is not our place to condemn them for their misfortune in life, in fact it’s our place to help them get through their trying times. If someone in your family treats you differently than others, please speak to them, maybe they don’t realize they are doing so. And maybe they do realize it, don’t give up on them, lift them to our Father and ask Him to first of all to give you a forgiving heart and understanding. After you have given it to your Heavenly Father you see no change in their behavior towards you, leave it with God, and continuously pray for them. But please deliver yourself from this feeling. Love them unconditionally, especially if it’s your parent as in my case, for Gods scripture does tell you to Honor you mother and Father.
My mother is a beautiful precious woman who I adore and admire, but she too is human and sometimes overlooks the important things in life. So Father in heaven today I am praying for my mother, I am asking for guidance in her life, Father I am asking for love for my mother, and most importantly Father help my mother to find a peace within herself, help her to see just how much her kids have loved her over the years, through the loss of our dad and some bad judgments she made, we stood behind her, even when she don’t remember. But give her this feeling of love, give her compassion Father. Lord I often tell my mom she never smiles she always seems mad or angry at the world, please let her overcome this, I would love more than anything Father to see my mother laugh and smile and to be happy. As you know Lord she has lived a very trying life and has went through so much, but as we know Lord you have pulled her through it all from losing a child to losing her husband and parents. Now please give her strength and wisdom and realize that we are still living and we need her. Please let her know we all love her. Thank you Father for my mother. Amen
I write this today to let you know we all have things in our life that are hard to overcome and to bear, but never once does God leave us. He is a patient, loving, gracious Father; He treats us all equally, never once showing favoritism...Take today and reflect on what you are doing in your life and how you are treating others.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Brenda.As you got ready for your operation no mater wh went with you you did have one with you at all time GOD was there with you to over look you.I am sure there is people that would love to be with you also but things have them busy or just can not be there so we as friends and family all ask God to be there and rest pray for you to come back to us.Kepp up the great work.

    ReplyDelete