Friday, May 28, 2010

Who Are your friends?

True friendship is one of the great gifts of life. The word "friend" is found about ninety times in the Bible. A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Prov. 18: 24). Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsakes not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbor that is near than a brother far off. (Prov. 27: 10).


An example of a close friendship in the Bible can be found in 1 Samuel chapters 18-20. Jonathan, who was the son of King Saul, was close friends with a man named David (who became a king later on). Long before David's reign as king, David became quite popular with the people because of his victories over the Philistines in battle. Unfortunately, that popularity made King Saul extremely jealous and full of rage, so he sought to kill David in order to protect his throne. However, Jonathan warned David of his fathers’ every move, which allowed David to escape physical harm.

Good friends will have a positive influence on you. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12) says, Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Jesus Christ demonstrates the ultimate friendship. John 15:12-14 says, 12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

As you can see from this verse, Jesus Christ is the perfect example of a true friend because He sacrificed Himself for us.

Dear friends, I write this today to let you know that I am here for you, always, thru good times and those not so good times. A true friend does not run out when times get tough. Jesus loves us no matter if we are having a good day or a bad day. He is always right there with us, holding us up, He gives us strength and courage to get thru everything we face in life. Right now, I have friends who are struggling with health issues, mental issues, financial woes and family matters. I need all these friends to know that I am here. I will not run away. Sometimes, our shoulders feel weighed down as we can’t handle anymore, I found the past few days that this was when you have to be able to give them to God, so that you can be strong yourself to continue being a great friend. My precious friends I love you and thank you for all that, you do for me. God bless each of you.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes we are alone even if we have someone with us but jesus will never leave us or forsake us he will go with us all the way home i pray that everyone has jesus in there lives if not today will be a great day to have the best friend you will ever have in your life and jesus keeps us all safe in time of troubles and woes he can calm life troubled seas as he did in days of hold got to keep in in our thought and minds all the time and he will pour out a blessing that your heart cannot contain hes the best friend ive ever had i could talk about what all he has done for me lately really has blessed me in many ways yes brenda he blessd me with a awesome friend like you........JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda the most touching blog I have read.To have you as friend is so awesome.As God is with your friend I know he will make final dission for him but your Love for him will mean even more than you will ever know.I am sure the feeling work both ways with that person also I pray for the bad times and good times for the both of you.Keep up the great work please.

    ReplyDelete