Sunday, November 21, 2010

“A Day of Thanksgiving”

Thanksgiving is approaching us and I wanted to take time to remind all the importance of this day. From back in 1782 when President Hanson declared Thursday November 28th a time to celebrate God and a time to give thanks to Him in a declaration. To this day we still celebrate Thursday as a day of thanks, however for many it’s a day to prepare for what we call Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year. Tears come to my eyes as I type that.



Thanksgiving should be daily; God takes care of us every day, why would some just give thanks once a year? In fact, God commands us to be thankful. Psalms 50:14 14Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High: Psalms 97:12 Rejoice in the LORD, ye righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.


The Bible is full of scripture and stories of thanksgiving. What is not full of thanksgiving is the world we live in. Thank him daily. Psalms 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits... I Thessalonians, chapter five, verse eighteen say, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." And in Ephesians, chapter five, where Paul is telling new Christians how they should live, it says: Give thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."


As I was studying for this today, I came across a story that touched my heart and made me realize how I would feel as well. I hope it touches you as well. One afternoon a shopper at the local mall felt the need for a coffee break. She bought herself a little bag of cookies and put them in her shopping bag. She then got in line for coffee, found a place to sit at one of the crowded tables, and then taking the lid off her coffee and taking out a magazine she began to sip her coffee and read. Across the table from her a man sat reading a newspaper. After a minute or two, she reached out and took a cookie. As she did, the man seated across the table reached out and took one too. This put her off, but she did not say anything. A few moments later, she took another cookie. Once again, the man did so too. Now she was getting a bit upset, but still she did not say anything. After having a couple of sips of coffee, she once again took another cookie. So did the man. She was really upset by this - especially since now only one cookie was left. Apparently, the man also realized that only one Cookie was left. Before she could say anything he took it, broke it in half, offered half to her, and proceeded to eat the other half himself. Then he smiled at her and, putting the paper under his arm, rose and walked off. Was she steamed? Her coffee break ruined, already thinking ahead of how she would tell this offense to her family, she folded her magazine, opened her shopping bag, and there discovered her own unopened bag of cookies.

I like that story - it makes me think about how well God treats me even when I am not treating him well or thinking all that kindly about him. I can imagine what must have gone through her mind, how embarrassed she was. We are all so selfish at times in our life, instead of being thankful for what we have and for those in our life, we complain and find what is wrong. This day I give Thanks to God, for all that, He has given to me in my life and I thank Him for all those who are in my life. Most importantly, I give thanks to Him for loving me and giving me life daily.

Take this day, give Thanks, no matter your situation in life, Give Thanks, and ask for deliverance from the pain and suffering and all your sins.

God bless each of you and Happy Thanksgiving.















1 comment:

  1. you got this so right hon and i love this day too but i dont know when to stop the good eatting. but most of all i love begin with my family my mom my brothers and sisters and grand kids keep the good work up Brenda

    HBS

    ReplyDelete