Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Who is Your Best Friend?

Tonight I lay here thinking about the number of people who have come and gone in my life. As I think of those who proclaimed to be my best friend, where are they now? What is it any way that makes a real friend?



A friend is someone who accepts you just the way you are, believes in you and encourages you. Someone who is trustworthy, who never forsakes you, who forgives your mistakes, who enjoys being with you, and who makes you laugh. When things go wrong, we need friends, don't we. Mary of Bethany was not famous for the great things she did or said, but she goes down in history as a woman who truly loved Jesus with all of her heart and she was not embarrassed to show it despite criticism from others. Mary of Bethany loved to hear the stories of God's Kingdom from Jesus, and she spent numerous hours at the feet of Jesus just listening and learning more about God. Most women would busy themselves in the kitchen preparing the meal and cleaning up afterwards. The men would usually sit around and listen to Jesus. Mary was different, she treasured every word that Jesus spoke and sat at His feet so that she would not miss anything Jesus said.


After dinner, Jesus said something that must have made Mary realize that His time here on Earth was coming to an end. She remembered that she had been saving her very best perfume for the burial of her Best Friend Jesus. Mary brought out her bottle of expensive perfume that was sealed inside of an alabaster box. The perfume was a precious treasure and was often used to prepare the body of a person after they died. Mary opened the alabaster box and poured the expensive perfume over Jesus' head and then poured the rest of the perfume on Jesus' feet. She then wiped His feet with her long, beautiful hair. The room became filled with the sweet smell of perfume. When Judas Iscariot saw what Mary had done he complained that she wasted the expensive perfume. Judas said the perfume could have been sold for a whole year of wages and the money used to feed the poor. Jesus replied, "Leave her alone, it was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. I tell you the truth whenever the Gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."


(John 12: 1-9; Matt. 26:6-13; Mark 14:1-10) Mary loved Jesus with all of her heart. She was willing to give everything she had to Jesus. She was thankful for His friendship and love, and for the miracle of bringing her brother back to life. How beautiful, to know that you are loved, that Jesus is our best friend, that He won’t forsake or leave us, ever.


John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.


This is exactly what Jesus did for you and me; He gave His life on that cross so that we wouldn’t have to suffer eternally, what a friend we have in Jesus. Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.


Listen my friends, when all others run away, and hurt you, there is one friend who will still be there, so I know for me, I am crying out to him, I need His friendship, I am hungry for His understanding and love, kindness and mercy. I hope you too will reach out and ask Jesus into your heart.


God bless you my friends…

1 comment: